FAQ for Earning Transfer Credit


Q: Does UNC require transcript submissions?
A: Yes. Transcripts are used by your assigned mentor to help develop your personalized Degree Plan. UNC requires that transcripts of all previous academic work completed at other colleges or universities be submitted for evaluation. It is your obligation to request official transcripts from the institutions you have attended when applying for admission. At the present time, we don’t require a minimum grade point average (GPA) or SAT/ACT scores for admission.


Q: Can I transfer previously earned college credits to UNC?
A: Yes. If you’re applying for a bachelor’s degree program and have completed college coursework at another institution, you may have your transcripts evaluated and may be able to have some or all of the requirements for lower-division courses cleared through transfer credits. In some programs, professional certifications may clear additional requirements.


Q: I have lots of credit hours but don’t have a bachelor’s or associate’s degree? What will transfer?
A: It depends on how well the courses you’ve already taken match the competencies in the UNC degree program you’re applying for. Each UNC degree program specifies the competencies you must possess and demonstrate mastery of in order to receive your degree; having accumulated credits isn’t sufficient proof that you have mastered the competencies. Prior courses must be relevant. If your prior coursework directly matches the requirements for your UNC bachelor’s degree, you may be able to clear one or more required lower-division courses. However, if your coursework was in subject areas that don’t match UNC’s degree requirements, the amount of transfer credit you receive may be limited.


Q: What credit hours can I expect to transfer into UNC?
A: Many students transfer into a UNC degree program already having accumulated many credit hours or having earned an associate’s degree. Transcripts are evaluated on a course-by-course basis according to the following general guidelines:


  • If you hold an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree from an institution that is recognized as nationally or regionally accredited by the U.S. Department of Education, you should clear all or many of the lower-division requirements for a bachelor’s degree in Business or Information Technology. For Health Professions and Teachers College programs, a course-by-course evaluation is typically required. Only an official transcript evaluation can determine how many requirements you may be able to waive.
  • If you earned an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) or other applied associate’s degree, you may be able to clear a significant portion of UNC's lower-division degree requirements.
  • If you have completed college courses but have not earned a degree of any type, you may also be able to have some degree requirements cleared through a course-by-course transcript evaluation.
  • Graduate-level program requirements are never cleared through transfer because of prior graduate school study. However, competencies obtained through prior study will help students to accelerate toward degree completion.

Q: What is the deadline for transcript submission?
A: Transcripts must be received by the 1st of the month prior to your intended start date. UNC requires that ALL official transcripts of previous academic work completed at other colleges and universities be submitted for evaluation.

The Transcripts Department should receive official transcripts by the 1st of the month prior to the start date of your program. It is your obligation to request official transcripts from all institutions you have attended. 


For more details feel free to contact us email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Go to top