The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is a professional doctorate which provides a dynamic, research-based view of real-world management issues.
This course is designed to generate new knowledge and understanding which will contribute to enhancing the policies and practices of modern management. It was created at Newcastle Business School in conjunction with public and private sector leaders to encourage future leaders to enhance their professional careers and provide a route for them to gain academic recognition. A DBA is equivalent in terms of academic study to a Ph.D. but more applied in nature.
Students on the course will have the opportunity to blend the latest academic thinking with business knowledge, skills, and practice, to enable them to make a significant contribution to the enhancement of professional practice. The Newcastle DBA has been specifically designed to:
· Build on management experience and skills, and past academic achievements as part of a carefully considered career plan;
· Provide maximum professional credibility and open doors into more senior management positions, consultancy or academia
· Enhance research and project management skills and increase understanding of research methods and techniques
It is studied full-time over 3-4 years and part-time over 4-6 years.
What you will study
The DBA programme will give you a foundation in research methods and offer you the opportunity to research in one or more of the following areas:
· Corporate Communications, Sales, and Marketing
· Finance, Accounting, and Corporate Governance
· Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour
· Entrepreneurship and the Performance of SMEs
· Leadership and Strategic Management
· Environmental and Operations Management
· Public Policy and Not-for-Profit Studies
· Tourism, Hospitality, and Retail Management
· Technology, Innovation, and e-Business.
In the first taught stage you will consolidate and extend your specialist knowledge and research competence and advance your research proposal.
In the second stage you will take your proposal forward to a full dissertation.
How you will learn
In full-time mode, you will learn through a combination of lectures, seminars and workshop sessions. These comprise of a mix of group study, discussion, simulation and presentations of findings by teams and individuals. You will work as an individual and also as part of a team on case studies, team activities, presentations, and discussions.
Access to our virtual learning environment, Online Learning, is also provided giving you access from home to learning materials (including videos, e-books, and journals).
Our supported distance learning mode of delivery allows you to study online from any location and is designed to fit in around your work commitments. You will be taught and supported by experienced industry professionals who will recreate the same challenging interactive format of the on-campus courses for those studying at a distance.
Our virtual learning environment, offers students the flexibility of where and when they can study, offering full and open access to tutors and other class members. Students have the benefit of being part of a group of learners with the invaluable opportunity to participate in active, group-related learning within a supportive online community setting. The online campus provides students with course materials and depending on the course it also includes:
· Virtual tutorials
· Live chat
· Discussion forums - student and tutor led
· Up-to-date web technology for delivery methods
· User-friendly material
· Access to our online library
As online learners, students are part of a 'virtual cohort' and the communication and interaction amongst members of the cohort is a significant aspect of the learning process.
The DBA is a challenging programme demanding a combination of intellectual ability and experience. We welcome applicants from across the world. To qualify for consideration you will need to demonstrate:
Our highly innovative degree was the first to receive full accreditation by the DETC. This stamp of quality ensures high standards of excellence and relevance and so you can be confidence about gaining a recognised qualification which will truly enhance your professional and personal development.