Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Econometrics (MORSE) Masters/MSc
How long it takes:
1 year full-time
Distance learning/ Campus
Find out more about
Newcastle Law School
The course consists of 180 credits, two-thirds from taught modules (core modules are compulsory, plus choose four optional modules) and one-third from your research project.
- Linear Programming – 10 credits
- Statistical Methods in Finance and Economics – 20 credits
- Numerical Methods and Programming – 10 credits
- MSc Project – 60 credits
Choose 80 credits. Examples of optional modules are listed below:
- Medical Statistics – 20 credits
- Nonlinear Programming I and Heuristic Optimisation – 20 credits
- Game Theory and Multicriteria Decision Making – 20 credits
- Mathematical Finance – 20 credits
- Applied Statistics – 20 credits
- Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimisation – 20 credits
- Advanced Management Mathematics – 20 credits
- Advanced Mathematical Finance – 20 credits
Considering postgraduate study, but unsure whether you meet the entry requirements for a Masters-level degree? Postgraduate admissions guidelines vary by course and university, but can be quite flexible.
Your existing qualifications will be important, but you don’t necessarily need a great Bachelors degree to apply for a Masters. Your personal circumstances and experience may also be considered during the admissions process.
This guide explains the typical entry requirements for a Masters, which include:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject – Depending on the programme and institution, you may need a 2.1 in your Bachelors, but this isn’t always the case
- Language proficiency – If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need to display a certain ability level, usually through a language test
- Professional experience – Some postgraduate programmes may require you to have some professional experience (this is usually the case for PGCEs and Masters in Social Work)
- Entrance exams – These are only required in certain subject areas and qualifications, including some MBAs
Tuition fees for UK/EU students 2020/21
MSc: Full-time £9,900. Part-time £4,950
Postgraduate Diploma: Full-time £6,660. Part-time £3,300
Tuition fees for International students 2020/21
MSc: Full time £23,310
Postgraduate Diploma: Full-time £15,540
You’ll show your progress through a combination of written essays, problem-solving assignments and presentations.
All students take our core modules, but please note that the availability of optional modules is subject to demand.
The programme produces highly qualified students in statistics, operations research and econometrics with applications to economics and business management. It also provides ideal preparation for a career in economics, health care, finance, banking, insurance, actuarial science, business management, governmental or academic institutions.
Postgraduate study at the University of Newcastle is a chance to learn from world leaders in their fields. This guarantees you a first-class learning experience, leading to a qualification that is respected the world over and making you an attractive prospect in a very competitive job market.
The course modules and research project will provide you with essential training in quantitative analysis together with multidisciplinary research and communication, a transferable skill which you will find valuable whatever career path you
pursue. Our graduates benefit from a growing global demand for these skills in sectors including economics, medicine, finance, insurance and industrial management.
University Careers Network
Preparation for your career should be one of the first things you think about as you start university. Whether you have a clear idea of where your future aspirations lie or want to consider the broad range of opportunities available once you have a Newcastle degree, our Careers Network can help you achieve your goal.
Our unique careers guidance service is tailored to your academic subject area, offering a specialised team (in each of the five academic colleges) who can give you expert advice. Our team source exclusive work experience opportunities to help you stand out amongst the competition, with mentoring, global internships and placements available to you. Once you have a career in your sights, one-to-one support with CVs and job applications will help give you the edge.