Natural Computation MRes
Postgraduate, Combined research and taught
How long it takes:
Distance learning/ Campus
Find out more about
Newcastle Law School
The course consists of a mini-project, and a research thesis, which will be two-thirds of the entire programme. You will also study essential Research Skills and a further 20 credits of optional modules.
- Research Skills – 10 credits
- 30 credits – Mini-project – 30 credits
- MRes Thesis – 120 credits
20 credits must be chosen, examples of optional modules are listed below:
- Advanced Aspects of Nature Inspired Search and Optimisation (Extended) – 20 credits
- Neural Computation (Extended) – 10 credits
- Intelligent Robotics (Extended) – 20 credits
- Intelligent Data Analysis (Extended) – 10 credits
- Machine Learning (Extended)
- Nature Inspired Search and Optimisation – 10 credits
Considering postgraduate study, but unsure whether you meet the entry requirements for a Masters-level degree? Postgraduate admissions guidelines vary by course and university, but can be quite flexible.
Your existing qualifications will be important, but you don’t necessarily need a great Bachelors degree to apply for a Masters. Your personal circumstances and experience may also be considered during the admissions process.
This guide explains the typical entry requirements for a Masters, which include:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject – Depending on the programme and institution, you may need a 2.1 in your Bachelors, but this isn’t always the case
- Language proficiency – If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need to display a certain ability level, usually through a language test
- Professional experience – Some postgraduate programmes may require you to have some professional experience (this is usually the case for PGCEs and Masters in Social Work)
- Entrance exams – These are only required in certain subject areas and qualifications, including some MBAs
Tuition fees for UK/EU students 2020/21
MSc: Full-time £9,900. Part-time £4,950
Postgraduate Diploma: Full-time £6,660. Part-time £3,300
Tuition fees for International students 2020/21
MSc: Full time £23,310
Postgraduate Diploma: Full-time £15,540
You’ll show your progress through a combination of written essays, problem-solving assignments and presentations.
All students take our core modules, but please note that the availability of optional modules is subject to demand.
We have strong links with industry, especially through CERCIA, including Honda, BT, Thales, Unilever, GSK, Rolls Royce, etc. We encourage MRes students to carry out their research projects in collaboration with our industrial partners, and opportunities also exist for students to do their project work within a company.
University Careers Network
Preparation for your career should be one of the first things you think about as you start university. Whether you have a clear idea of where your future aspirations lie or want to consider the broad range of opportunities available once you have a Birmingham degree, our Careers Network can help you achieve your goal.
Our unique careers guidance service is tailored to your academic subject area, offering a specialised team (in each of the five academic colleges) who can give you expert advice. Our team source exclusive work experience opportunities to help you stand out amongst the competition, with mentoring, global internships and placements available to you. Once you have a career in your sights, one-to-one support with CVs and job applications will help give you the edge.